This steamed jackfruit cake with toasted pine nuts is a super healthy dessert. It contains the goodness of fresh fruits and nuts. This recipe comes from India’s popular beach destination Goa. Goan folks prepare this jackfruit cake with their preferred dry fruits and nuts.
How to Cook
image source www.pixabay.com
This steamed jackfruit cake with toasted pine nuts requires a total of about 45 minutes time to prepare the batter and steam it. The mind-boggling aspect of this jackfruit cake recipe is that it is not made with the common cake ingredients. This cake does not contain flour, eggs, oil, vanilla essence, etc. This cake has a steamed soft texture, a bright yellow hue, and a natural sweetness derived from the jackfruit and young coconut. The toasted pine nuts elevate the flavor and texture with their wonderful nutty crunch.
- Fresh jackfruit (30-35 pulps)
- Semolina (130 grams)
- Fresh young coconut (Half of 1 coconut)
- Palm sugar
- Cardamom powder (1 teaspoon)
- Pine nuts (50 grams)
- Pistachios (50 grams)
- Salt (a pinch or as per taste) (optional)
- Butter (for greasing)
Prepare the fresh fruits, pistachios, semolina, and pine nuts
image source: www.pixabay.com
Firstly, begin with de-seeding the jackfruit pulps! Blend the de-seeded pulps in a blender. Run the fresh jackfruit puree through a fine sieve and collect the smooth puree into a bowl. Take the coconut and grate it finely. For the pistachios, simply remove the shell and crush them roughly. If the palm sugar is in small cake form, lightly crush it too. Toast the semolina in a pan for 10 minutes over medium flame. Keep stirring. The semolina will change color and release a mellow fragrance when done. Remove the toasted semolina from the pan and let it cool. In the same pan, toast the pine nuts over low flame for 2 minutes by stirring continuously.
Preparing the jackfruit cake mixture
- Take a deep bowl. Place the fresh jackfruit puree, coconut gratings, crushed pistachios, toasted semolina, palm sugar, and cardamom powder in the bowl. Combine everything well to form a silky yellow batter.
- Taste the batter. If needed, season with salt and mix again.
Steaming the jackfruit cake mixture
- Prepare your steamer by boiling water over a high flame. Once the water starts bubbling, lower the flame to medium heat.
- Nicely grease your cake mold.
- Pour the jackfruit cake mixture into the cake mold and transfer it to the steamer. Let it steam for 15-25 minutes.
- Take out the cake mold from the steamer.
- While the cake is still warm and in the mold, sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top. Press gently so that the pine nuts stick to the jackfruit cake. Now, wait for it to cool down.
- Once the steamed jackfruit cake comes to room temperature, de-mold the cake!
Your steamed jackfruit cake with toasted pine nuts is ready!
- You can use any nuts or dry fruits in the recipe as per availability and taste preference. For instance, cashew nuts, almonds, raisins, etc.
- For a crisp outer layer, you can fry both sides of the steamed jackfruit cake after cooling and de-molding it from the cake tin. Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts after frying the cake.