Special occasions call for “Special Baked Rice”. It needs less than 45 minutes to cook including 35 minutes of baking time. This special baked rice recipe is easy and tastes incredible! You can pair it along with meat roasts, vegetable stew, fritters, pies, etc. for a filling lunch or dinner platter.
How to Cook
Cooking this ‘special baked rice’ involves 3 key steps. The first step is to flavor the water in which the rice will cook. The next step is baking the aromatic jasmine rice. The final step includes making the rice toppings which add the crunchy, creamy, hot, sweet, and nutty flavors.
- 1 cup of Jasmine Rice
- 2 cups of Water
- 1½ teaspoons of White Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- A teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 3 Tablespoons of Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Sugar Cubes
- ½ teaspoon of Hot Paprika Powder
- 2-3 Pickled Chilies (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons of Dry Mint (or fresh mint)
- 1 Tablespoon of Candied Cherries
- 1½ Tablespoon of Pistachios (for garnishing)
- 3 Tablespoons of Feta Cheese (crumbled) (optional)
Instructions for making Special Baked Rice
Step 1: Set the oven for preheating at 300°F
Step 2: Take a baking dish (about 8 inches square/oval-shaped will do). Lightly grease the dish with oil. Rinse the rice and transfer the uncooked raw jasmine rice into the baking dish.
Step 3: Now, pour water into a pan and place it on the stove on high heat. Add the white vinegar, olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Give it a quick stir and bring to a boil. Turn off the gas.
Step 4: Next, cautiously pour the boiling water mixture all over the rice in the baking dish. Cover the dish with foil paper.
Step 5: Place the dish in the oven and let the rice bake for 30 minutes. Once the time is up, take out the baking dish and check if all the liquid is absorbed by the rice grains, if not bake for 5 more minutes.
Step 6: Heat another pan on the stove at medium. Add the pumpkin seeds and stir for a minute.
Step 7: Add the sugar cubes, hot paprika powder, and few chopped pickles chilies into the pan. Cook them for 4 minutes by stirring continuously. Once done, put them in a plate to come to room temperature.
Step 8: Finally, sprinkle the spicy-sweet pumpkin seeds on the baked rice. Also shower the dry mint, candied cherries, pistachios, and crumbled feta cheese on top of the rice for a flavorful blast.
image source: www.pixabay.com
Your easy and delicious special baked rice is ready to serve!
- A quick way to know the pumpkin seeds topping are done is to see that the sugar cubes have melted and coated the seeds with the paprika powder.
- You may switch the pistachios with your favorite nut or add some grated coconut.
Try the “Special Baked Rice” with a bowl of rich creamy fish curry for a delightful meal.