Blooming onion originated from the USA. This dish served as an appetizer at some restaurants. It is very delicious in taste and has a great aroma.
- 1 large onion cut into sections almost till the root having a shape of a flower
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Coldwater to make the batter
- Corn flour to coat
- Regular crumbs to coat
- Oil for frying
- Cut onion and soak in cold water. Cut side down for about 1/2 hour.
- Make a slightly thin batter using all the ingredients.
- Dry the onion using a kitchen towel and coat well in cornflour, dip in prepared batter and roll in crumbs.
- Deep fry on each side till nice and golden. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
- Make sure the coating on the onion is not too heavy or the petals will break apart.
- For the honey mustard sauce, combine 4 tbsp mayonnaise with 1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp wholegrain or any mustard, 1 tsp vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Then mix well.