Try something new with your green curry paste; try some super crispy spring rolls! The yummy chicken filling is cooked in the rich coconut milk and spicy Thai green curry paste.
image source: www.pixabay.com
The colorful bell pepper, carrot, and sweet corn bring in some lovely veggie bites. The kaffir lime leaves take on the aroma department, while the acidic fish sauce and sweet palm sugar notch up the flavors! Finally, tossed with the freshness of coriander, the filling takes on a flavorful journey wrapped cozily inside deep fried super crispy spring rolls.
- Spring roll pastry sheets (5-inch square sized, 20-30 sheets)
- Thai green curry paste (2 tablespoons)
- Coconut milk (200 ml)
- Ground chicken (250 grams)
- Yellow bell pepper (3 tablespoons)
- Carrot (4 tablespoons)
- Sweet corn grains (4 tablespoons)
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves
- Corn starch (1½ tablespoons)
- Palm sugar (2 teaspoons) (optional)
- Fish sauce (1 teaspoon) (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves (½ cup)
- Olive oil (for frying)
Prepare the Veggies, Leaves, and Corn Starch
- Mix the cornstarch powder with 3 tablespoons of water. 2 tablespoons will go in the chicken filling. The leftover 1 tablespoon will be used for sealing the pastry sheets.
- Peel the carrot and julienne it.
- Cut the yellow bell pepper in half, remove the seeds and julienne it as well.
- Fold the kaffir lime leaves, remove the tough stem and finely chop them.
- Wash and chop the coriander leaves.
Prepare the Yummy Chicken Filling
- Add the coconut milk in a medium-depth pan and place it on the stove over medium-high flame. Let the milk simmer for 2 minutes.
- Next, lower the flame to medium and add the aromatic Thai green curry paste. Mix the paste well and cook for 2 more minutes to achieve a medium-thick consistency.
- Now, transfer the ground chicken and cook thoroughly until the water evaporates. Stir frequently to break up all the chunks of ground chicken.
- Once all the water evaporates from the meat, add the prepped veggies (carrot, yellow capsicum, and sweet corn) and chopped kaffir lime leaves. Mix and fry for a minute.
- For extra flavoring, add in a dash of fish sauce along with crushed palm sugar. Cook for another minute.
- At this moment, drizzle 2 tablespoons of corn starch liquid and stir quickly for a minute. Switch off the flame and transfer the spring roll filling onto a plate. Add the chopped coriander leaves and mix them up on the plate.
- Let the filling mixture cool down before starting to fold the spring rolls.
image source: www.pixabay.com
Folding and Frying the Spring Rolls
- Place two 5-inch sized spring roll pastry sheets over-lapping each other at an inch distance corner-wise.
- Fill 1 tablespoon of the mixture and start rolling while also closing the sides. Seal the edge with the leftover cornstarch liquid.
- Heat oil in a deep pot and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden in color.
Your super crispy spring rolls are ready! Serve with ketchup or any dipping sauce.
- For baked spring rolls, you need to set the convection oven for 4-5 minutes at 175°C.
- For the filling of these super crispy spring rolls, you can use crumbled cottage cheese, tofu or any ground meat as per your taste preference. The cooking time will vary accordingly.