This warm creamy green peas soup is a bowl of soothing comfort during chilly and rainy weather. You can enjoy this velvety greenish soup as a starter or a healthy dinner. Soups are a fabulous way to keep the body warm and ward off cold/flu during winters. We often skip green veggies in our meals, so this is one delicious way to avoid that. Even your kids would relish this soup happily! This soup is healthy as the key ingredient green pea is low in calories. It is a beneficial anti-oxidant too. Loaded with fibers, vitamins, & protein, its anti-aging properties can help keep wrinkles at bay.
How to Cook
Cooking the creamy green peas soup requires about 15-20 minutes. It entails 2-5 minutes of prepping, 3-4 minutes of sautéing a few ingredients, boiling, and blending.
Things you'll need for the soup
- ½ can of green peas (or fresh peas) (200 grams)
- 2 cubes of butter
- 5-6 garlic cloves (peeled & crushed)
- 2-3 spring onions (chopped)
- 500ml of water (filtered) (2 cups) (or vegetable stock)
- 10-12 cashew nuts
- A handful of fresh mint sprigs
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk (or coconut gratings)
For Serving the Soup
- 1 teaspoon of white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (or as per taste)
- 2-3 mint sprigs
- Fresh cream or yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of peas
image source: www.pixabay.com
Preparing the Peas, Garlic, and Spring Onion
- Peas: For canned peas, take it out in a bowl, rinse, and keep aside. If using fresh peas remove the skin and collect them in a bowl.
- Garlic: Peel 5-6 garlic cloves and crush them roughly.
- Spring Onion: Wash and chop them roughly.
Making the Creamy Green Peas Soup
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium flame. Add the butter.
- As the butter melts, add the crushed garlic, and spring onions. Sauté for a minute.
- Next, add the green peas and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the water. Adjust the flame to high and let it come to a boil.
- Once the water starts bubbling, switch the flame to medium. Add the cashew nuts, mint sprigs, and coconut milk. Let it simmer for 5 minutes then turn off flame.
- Now blend all the ingredients in the pot into a thick creamy soup-like texture using a hand blender.
- (optional step) If you notice pea skins in the soup, you may sieve it before serving for a smooth texture.
To serve the creamy green peas soup, pour it in a bowl. Sprinkle some salt & pepper seasoning. Garnish with mint sprigs, some fresh cream/yogurt, and a few peas.
- Instead of a hand blender, you can also use a blending machine. To do so, you need to let the soup cool down before pouring it into the blender.
- Using coconut milk gives the creamy green peas soup its luscious creaminess! If you prefer a nutty bite-like texture in your soup use coconut gratings.