The “Colorful Tapioca Pearls Drink” is a concoction of unique textures and juicy flavors! A spoonful of this dessert drink sends a joyous treat in the mouth. The popping tapioca pearls, the jelly-like cendol, the juicy sweet mango cubes, bite-like coconut meat, all brought together wonderfully by a rich creamy coconut syrup is simply mind-boggling.
Ingredients for Colorful Tapioca Pearls Drink
For Tapioca Pearls
- 1 packet of colorful tapioca pearls (14oz)
- Water (2½ liters)
For Coconut Syrup
- 1 cup of coconut water (or filtered water)
- 4 cups of caramel granulated sugar (or palm sugar)
- 1 packet of coconut milk (about 4½ cups)
- 2 Pandan leaves (knotted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Green Noodles (Cendol)
- 2½ cups of water
- 8-9 fresh Pandan leaves (chopped)
- 2/3 cup of rice flour (100grams)
- 1/3 cup of corn starch (50grams)
For Fruit toppings
- Young coconut meat
- Fresh sweet mango (cut in cubes)
To make the coconut syrup
- Pour the coconut water in a pot and add the caramelized sugar.
- Place the pot on the stove on low heat, cover, and let it simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Next, uncover and pour the coconut milk. Add 2 pandan leaves (tied in a knot) and season with salt. Let it simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the stove. Transfer the coconut syrup to a bowl and let it cool for an hour or leave it in the fridge overnight.
image source: www.pixabay.com
To make the Green Noodles (Cendol)
- Pour the water (2½ cups) in a blender, add the chopped pandan leaves (8-9), and blend in full powder leaving no chunks of pandan leaf.
- Strain the green liquid onto a pot. Add the rice flour and corn starch. Mix well.
- Place the pot on the stove over low heat. Keep stirring the mixture occasionally for 10-15 minutes until it turns into a smooth ribbon-like consistency. Turn off the stove.
- Fill a large bowl with ice-cold water. Put the green mixture into a noodle press and drop the green noodles (cendol) into the ice-cold water. Once all the green mixture is pressed, drain the cold water. Keep aside.
Cook the tapioca pearls & Assemble the Colorful Tapioca Pearls Drink
To cook the tapioca pearls
Bring the water (2½litres) to a rolling boil. Carefully drop the tapioca pearls into the boiling water. Stir continuously for 5 minutes. Then, switch off the stove, cover the pot, and let the tapioca pearls rest for 15 minutes. Next, uncover the pot and rinse (on a mesh strainer) the translucent jelly-like tapioca pearls with cool running water.
- Take a dessert glass and put 4 tablespoons of the colorful tapioca pearls.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons of the green noodles (cendol).
- Top it with 3-4 tablespoons of the coconut meat and 6-7 mango cubes.
- Pour ½ cup of the sweet coconut syrup and serve.
Tip: If you want the drink to be lighter, add some coconut water. Prepare yummy glasses of “colorful tapioca pearls drink” over the weekend and relish the flavor-burst in your mouth.