Crunchy Enoki Mushroom Fritters: Korean Sides
[caption id="attachment_34581" align="alignright" width="227"] www.pixabay.com[/caption] The crunchy enoki mushroom fritters are often served as a side dish in Korea! These are the perfect party starter. The best part, they are a sweat-free quick recipe. Save a Sunday to catch up with your buddies while munching on these homemade yummy mushroom fritters! Additionally, enoki mushrooms are loaded with Vitamin D, calcium, iron and a host of other vitamins and minerals. They can help boost intellect, power-up the immunity, protect from several allergic reactions, safeguards from anemia, as well as lessen both cholesterol and blood pressure.
How to Cook
Cooking the crunchy enoki mushroom fritters is a matter of 6-10 minutes. It involves coating the mushrooms twice with two different mixtures and then shallow frying them until crisp.
- Enoki Mushroom (400 grams)
- Rice flour (4 Tablespoons)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 red shallot
- 1 Carrot
- Chinese chives (10-15 grams)
- Ground black pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Chili flakes (1 teaspoon) (optional)
- Sesame oil (2 teaspoons)
- Olive oil (for frying)
- Salt to taste
[caption id="attachment_34582" align="alignleft" width="300"] www.pixabay.com[/caption] Prepare the Mushroom, Eggs and Veggies Enoki Mushrooms: Get rid of their woody stems and rinse thoroughly. Eggs: Crack them in a large bowl and whisk well. Veggies: Cut the shallot in half and slice it up finely. Peel the carrot and julienne. Chop the chives finely. Marinade the Enoki Mushroom
- Spread out the prepped enoki mushrooms on a tray. Drizzle the sesame oil and shower the rice flour all over the mushrooms. Now, toss well to coat the mushrooms with the flour & oil.
- Next, take the bowl of whisked eggs. Add the prepped veggies (shallot, carrot & chives), pepper powder, chili flakes and salt in the eggs. Mix the ingredients.
- At this moment, transfer the flour & oil tossed mushrooms into the eggs and veggie mix. Let the mushrooms sit in the semi-liquid mixture for 1-2 minutes to absorb the liquid.
Fry the Mushroom Fritters
- Place a non-stick pan on the stove. Set the heat to medium. Drizzle some oil and wait a minute for the oil to get hot.
- Take a spoonful of the marinated mushroom and place it on the pan. Gently flatten out the mushroom scoop. Depending on your pan size, continue putting 3-5 spoonfuls of marinated mushrooms separately.
- Let one side fry for 2-3 minutes until it turns crispy brown in color. Once, a side is fried, flip over to fry the other side. Drizzle little oil if needed.
Take out the crunchy enoki mushroom fritters in a plate. Repeat heating oil and frying the rest of the marinated mushrooms. You can also store the excess marinated mushrooms in an air-tight container in the fridge for later. Fry them up in your leisure hour to enjoy with a warm cup of coffee!
- All-purpose flour is a good substitute for rice flour. That said using rice flour results in a crunchier fritter.
- The chili flakes are added for extra spice, if you prefer subtle heat in your crunchy enoki mushroom fritters, skip it.