The gorgeous white coconut milk drink is a crowd pleaser. This refreshing milky coconut drink is a super simple and quick vegetarian recipe.
The luscious creamy texture of the coconut milk merges smoothly with the intense palm sugar sweetness accentuated with the mesmerising smell and flavour of cardamom. The roasted dry fruits definitely compliment the silky smooth drink with a delicious crunch.
This rich coconut drink is perfect for health-conscious folks and fits excellently in the daily diet.
Coconut milk is packed with antioxidants. It aids in preventing anaemia, boosts bone health, elevates immunity and helps in keeping the weight in check. Dry fruits and palm sugar are immensely useful to the body as they are loaded with vitamins, minerals, iron, and protein.
Interestingly, this refreshing milky coconut drink has a deeper connection to the Southern part of India. They prepare it during festivities and relished it as a dessert. South Indians call this recipe “thengai paal payasam” or “aadi paal”.
How to Cook
This exotic milky coconut drink is fabulous because it requires some effortless boiling, straining, mixing and stirring. Moreover, it’s ready in just 15 minutes time.
Additionally, the garnish can be tweaked according to taste preferences and ingredient availability.
For instance, you may add your favourite fresh fruit toppings such as strawberries, mango cubes, or coconut scrapings to this coconut milk drink.
For a fragrant herb garnish, you may opt for the fresh mint leaves or sweet basil. Chocolate lovers can go with dark chocolate shavings.
- Coconut milk (2 cups)
- Palm sugar (2 tablespoons)
- Cardamom powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Almonds (1 teaspoon, roughly chopped)
- Cashews (1 teaspoon, roughly chopped)
- Raisins (1 teaspoon)
- Ghee or Coconut oil (1 tablespoon)
- Water (1/2 cup)
To prepare the coconut milk drink
- Start with boiling half a cup of water in a pan. Once the water starts bubbling add the palm sugar
- Turn the flame to medium so that the palm sugar melts slowly.
- After the palm sugar has completely melted, turn off the gas and strain the liquid.
- Place the warm liquid again on the stove over low flame
- Next, add the coconut milk. Give it a nice stir in order to mix the liquid palm sugar with the coconut milk.
- Once the coconut milk and palm sugar mixture start simmering, turn off flame.
To garnish the milky coconut drink
- While the sweetened coconut milk drink is hot, add the cardamom powder. Mix well.
- In a fresh pan, heat the ghee or coconut oil.
- Add the almonds, cashews, and raisins in the pan. Roast them for a minute or so.
- Remove the roasted dry fruits from the pan and garnish them on the coconut milk drink.
The refreshing milky coconut drink is ready to be served. It can be consumed both warm and chilled.
image source: www.pixabay.com
Straining the liquid palm sugar is necessary as it helps remove impurities.
It is optional to roast the dry fruits. You may garnish with your favourite chopped dry fruits or nuts directly without roasting.